Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Book Reflection

Book Reflection-The Dumbest Generation by Mary Larscheid-Christensen

The Dumbest Generation brought to the surface many ideas that I had never been presented before. Mark Bauerlein paints an ugly picture of young Americans. The opportunity for young people has never been greater, but instead of being interested in books, he sees them letting their social life guide them. He feels technology, digital empowerment, visual awareness has not led to civically minded, politically inspired young Americans but to self centered social individuals.

This book was essentially filled with the opposite theory of what this class is based on. So as I learned more and more technology each week, I read about how damaging it is for us. It made quite a contrast to consider.

After being exposed to all of his opinions and data, I don’t feel the despair as he does. I am the one that likes to see the glass half full instead of half empty. I am the one to see the “good apple” in the bushel of rotten ones, so I cannot agree with his philosophy of the Dumbest Generation.

I believe you can take data and arrange it and tweak it to show just about any viewpoint you would like it to show. So I feel there are young Americans that are interested in history, civic responsibility, foreign affairs, books, religion and art.

You can always find the best or worst in a group of people. I prefer to look for and expect the best.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely! I think that there are way more "good apples" than rotten ones, the problem is that the bad apples always get the attention. Jay Leno is not going to feature smart young men and women on Jay walking, he will show youth that answers incorrectly thus making society believe that this is the Dumbest Generation.

    ReplyDelete